Our mission is to honor and preserve our connection with nature.
The Gem of the Morros
The San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden is located near the Pacific Ocean on the Central Coast of California. When the master plan is complete, our 150 acre garden will be the only garden of its kind in the United States exclusively devoted to the ecosystems and plants of the five mediterranean climate regions of the world. Other components of the plan include 50 miles of paved trails; restaurants and cafés featuring mediterranean climate cuisine; a 3,000-seat amphitheater; demonstration, meditation, and event gardens; an explosion of art; sustainable buildings for education and research; and creative modes of transportation to provide easy access to the inspiring views throughout the Garden’s 500-foot elevation change.
We endeavor to be a financially-sustaining botanical garden that displays and preserves the diverse plant life of mediterranean climate zones. We emphasize horticulture, education, research, sustainable and fire-safe practices, water conservation, children’s gardens of exploration, culinary demonstrations, life celebration gardens, health and nutrition, storytelling, and the arts.
What we've Achieved
- Installed a 2-acre Present Garden,
- Installed a 2-acre Children's Garden,
- Constructed a sustainable office building and rental facility,
- Propagate thousands of drought-tolerant plants each year,
- Annually host hundreds of community member at Garden events,
- Installed a 3/4 mile hiking trail,
- Annually host hundreds of people for docent-led tours,
- Installed a 1-acre Fire Safe Demonstration Garden,
- Planted the largest Chilean wine palm grove outside of Chile,
- and much more!